Friday, April 28, 2017

Meet our Featured Parenting Student - Terri Richter

Single mother Terri Richter is oh-so-close to obtaining her DMA (Doctor of Musical Arts) in Voice and Opera. A UCLA student since January of 2014, Terri is currently experiencing her busiest quarter yet as she prepares to submit her dissertation and give her final Doctoral Recital in May. "Witches, Whores, and Virgin Martyrs," is the theme of her concert, "a multi-media tour of early Baroque operatic female stereotypes."
This recital will be the culmination of YEARS of hard work, dedication, and perseverance. 
"I started applying for doctoral programs in 2013, when I finally faced the reality that I was going to have to support my children by myself. I had built a career as a professional classical singer, but I knew that if I continued down that path I wouldn’t be able to be the kind of parent I needed to be; it just wasn’t practical as a single mom. I thought that the best way I could put my kids through college was to become a professor myself. I was offered a full scholarship to UCLA, so the boys and I moved across the country to LA from Tennessee."


Terri lives with her two boys, Colin (age 9) and Jacob (age 12) in UCLA Family Housing, which has helped to ease the transition to an urban LA lifestyle. 
“The boys and I have loved living at University Village Apartments; living here has given them a safe place to develop and a community to belong to."

Colin and Jacob also love coming with their Mom to campus! 
"My kids come to campus with me often, and their favorite thing is to go to Ackerman to get lunch or dinner; I give them each their own money and let them split up and choose whatever restaurant they want. They love pretending like they’re college students - ordering on their own, paying by themselves, waiting for their food, and then joining me at a table. They don’t so much like having to come to the summer classes I teach, but they sit with the college students and interact with them; I feel like I’m giving them an experience that will shape the rest of their lives. Coming here was a very good decision."
What has been the hardest part of becoming a Bruin? 
"Doing it all by myself." Terri explains, "No other student in my department at UCLA is even a parent, let alone a single parent, and to talk to my professors about the challenges involved just makes it sound like I’m asking for special treatment. Most of the tenants of the Univ. Village Apts. where we live are married with young children, so we don’t exactly “fit the mold.” It’s also been difficult to make things work financially; I teach courses as an adjunct professor at another university to pay the bills, on top of my responsibilities as a doctoral student and a Teaching Associate at UCLA. The only time I have to do my own work is after the kids go to bed.” 

So what is next for this amazing Doctor and Mom? 
"My final solo concert at UCLA is on May 12th, 8 pm, in Popper Auditorium, Schoenberg Music Department (open and free to the public). After that, I plan to finish up my PhD in Musicology (currently in 2nd year) and then hopefully find that elusive tenure-track position that will make it all worthwhile!”


Terri, you are an amazing Mom, and Neighbor- an example to all! Go Bruins!


No comments:

Post a Comment